Beautiful weather is on its way; and is there anything more satisfying than eating a crunchy salad in the sun?! Here’s one that is delicious and will pair nicely with any BBQ meal you have this summer!
I ate this salad this weekend and made a few changes to the original recipe I found online. I love light dressings that allow the sweetness of the apples and cabbage to shine through, so I made a simpler one than what was suggested. Ingredients with a 1 are from the original, and a 2 is my suggestion.
Here are the Ingredients you will need:
- 8 ounces sliced bacon (not thick-cut, about 9 slices), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 1
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey 1
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 1
- Juice of ½ lemon2
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small head green cabbage (approx 2 pounds or 10 cups) shredded
- 10 brussel sprouts, shredded
- 1 sweet, red apple (ex. Pink Lady or Royal Gala)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
And here’s how to put them together:
- Fry the bacon until it is crisp and browned. Transfer it onto paper towel-lined plate to get rid of excess fat. Save ¼ cup of bacon fat.
Original recipe suggests this for the dressing: Place vinegar 1, oil, honey1, mustard1, and salt in a large salad bowl and whisk to combine. Add in green onions. Add reserved bacon fat and whisk into the dressing
My suggested alternative: Place oil, and lemon juice2 in large salad bowl. Whisk to combine. Add in green onions.
- Place the shredded cabbage in the salad bowl with dressing. And toss to combine.
- Core and cut the apple into ½ inch pieces (no need to peel). Add apple, bacon and parsley to the cabbage and dressing. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Let sit for a while - 15 minutes or so - to let the flavors blend real nice together... Mmm, yeah. THEN EAT IT!
If you need to know the nutritional information, I did some computing using Very Well Fit and have them posted below.
Enjoy this delicious & nutritious salad – and the sunshine!!