The Holiday Season makes me hungry. Between the gift purchases and wrapping, the social functions with family & friends, and everything else going on, I basically turn into an insatiable hangry bear on the daily.
Knowing this, a survival tactic for getting through the holidays is having delicious, nutritious food on hand!
Shannon Lucier (insta: @fitinkedmama) is a Synergee Athlete, Nutrition Coach & Trainer, Owner of The Squat Rack, Plant Based Athlete & Mom… and she also believes having a satisfying and easy-to-make meal in your arsenal guarantees a merry and bright holiday season!
Shannon provided us with this DELICIOUS recipe for a Vegetarian Enchilada Pie!
It is sure to fill your belly and provide you with enough energy to get through the day, power through a workout, AND make it through whatever Christmas party you have tonight!!
Let’s dig in!
Vegetarian Enchilada Pie
- 1 can black beans (low sodium)
- 1 can of corn (low sodium)
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 package of authentic *corn tortillas (small rounds)
- 1 package of shredded **cheese (TexMex preferred)
- *authentic corn tortillas can be found in the bakery or natural food aisle in freezer (look for gluten free label if Celiac)
- **cheese can easily be swapped out with a dairy alternative to make this dish vegan
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a pan, drizzle olive oil and add chopped garlic, sauté for one minute. Add in chopped up red peppers into the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the black beans and corn before adding them into the pan.
- Sprinkle in seasoning, add in salsa and stir. Let simmer while your oven preheats.
- In a round pie or casserole dish, prep dish with oil. Cover the bottom with tortilla shells.
- Layer with your black bean and corn mixture from the pan. Add cheese on top. Continue this process until you reach the top of the dish. The layers are always tortillas, veggie mixture, cheese. Cover the dish with some loose tin foil and place in oven.
- Bake for 30 mins (you can do a broil finish for 2 minutes to brown the cheese)
- Easily serves 5-6 people
Synergee Athletes are AWESOME!
Have we mentioned we LOVE our Synergee Athletes? Take Shannon, for example!
Shannon is the former Director of Event Operations for World Natural Sports Organization & FAME Media Group and now she is opening a private training studio in Amherstburg, Ontario called The Squat Rack. She provides her clients with cross training and functional fitness, along with customized nutrition and coaching for all types of dietary needs and restrictions.
Basically, she is a badass. And we're honored to call her a Synergee Athlete!!